Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Happy Birthday to Teddy, part 2

I know it's been awhile since I posted, and I've been so busy that the only reason I'm doing it now is because I already wrote part 1, so I HAD to write part 2 of Teddy's birthday weekend really has nothing to do with Teddy at all!!!

First of all, Friday night, we were watching a movie and eating a pizza around 10pm, when suddenly our front door of the hotel room opens and in walks an innocent intruder. Apparently, our hotel had "forgotten" that room 4433 was already booked, and they assigned our room to someone else! Truth be told, I'd rather be the intruded upon party than the intruder, how embarrassing (and it's a good thing we weren't doing anything embarrassing on the couch when they walked in!) Needless to say, that night I didn't sleep well, wondering what other kinds of mistakes this hotel could make.

The next morning, after making a great big breakfast for Teddy, I jumped in the shower. I briefly thought I should turn my phone up, but I was on vacation right?

Well, I'm finishing up in the shower and Teddy comes in. The front desk had called (which wasn't new, they'd been calling all morning for the OTHER couple they booked into our room...apparently they didn't understand that the Williams family was NOT in room 4433 no matter how often we told them). Anyway, the front desk called with a phone call from my mom, who was watching our kids. She was at the hospital with Madeleine, who had passed out at CYT rehearsal and hit her head on the piano!!! What the heck?

Over the next few hours, and many, many phone calls to lots of different people, we were filled in with all the details. Apparently, she felt like she was going to faint while standing around the piano, passed out, then thumped her head on the piano and landed on the floor. She needed 10 stitches, 2 on the inside of the cut and 8 on the outside. Because of the generosity and compassion of many people, Teddy and I didn't feel the need to cut our trip short. We wanted to be there, but also so badly needed this time together. If Madeleine were in different hands or not handling it well, we would have gone home immediately. But she was actually doing very well.

So, now that it's about 2 weeks later and she's healing up well, we are still in the process of finding out why she fainted. Over this past summer, she had a whole bunch of tests run to find out why she feels faint, but the ER doctor was concerned that it's now progressed to actual fainting. She's only felt lightheaded once since then, and it was during dance class so it made a little more sense than just standing around a piano (not even singing or locking her legs!)

I also need to thank my Mom for taking such good care of her while we were gone; to Mary Head for staying with her at rehearsal AND the entire hospital stay AND at home for quite a few hours; to Kiana Ryan for coming over to hang with her even though you had a busy family night; to Annette Martin for taking care of Ben and Sophia while Madeleine was in the hospital; to Jamie Julian, Cherry Wilson, Courtney Rice, and Kristi Foster for great care while passed out and laying on the floor at rehearsal; Doug Webster, Justin Parks, and Lynette Carver for good leadership at rehearsal; to the Chitty Chitty Bang Bang cast for all the prayer and concern for Madeleine (it made a difference!); and to God for loving my baby girl more than I'll ever understand and for making a very stressful situation seem not so bad.

Now, we just need to get rid of the scar!!

No comments: