Friday, November 14, 2008

Happy 10th Birthday Madeleine!

So it's 1:30am on November 14th. Ten years ago today, at this time, I was being prepped for a c-section. Twenty-four hours of labor had produced a dilation to 5cm and nothing else was happening. I was stalled. My fantastic, compassionate OB, Dr. Higgins, had gently informed me that she thinks we should throw in the towel. We gave it all we got and it wasn't getting! I even remember what she was wearing, which is an odd detail to remember. Anyway, Madeleine was born at 2:24am, healthy and happy. I didn't fare so well after surgery, which set us up for a rough beginning. But we made it through that first night...and our lives have never been the same again.
Madeleine seriously rocked our world...our expectations of birth and parenthood were so different that what the reality was...and as much as I sometimes feel like I've failed as a Momma...as much as I messed up...as hard as I tried...she's still the most awesome kid I know (her brother and sister included). From day one, she's always wanted more of me than I seem to be giving her...and lately, I've realized that instead of bemoaning her neediness, I need to relish it. Soon, she won't want to hold my hand all the time, or sleep with me, or hang out in my bathroom while I primp. She's already stopped asking me to take baths with her (besides, she only showers anymore); she no longer opens her covers and says, "There's plenty of room for you in here" (although she has a loft bed, with a cave to sleep in that I can't access); and she no longer needs my help doing her hair, picking out her clothes, or brushing her teeth. I think I'm going to try to give her as much of me as she wants, and remember to take, take, take from her, so when the day for good-bye comes, my cup will be fuller!

Madeleine is mature for her age; compassionate; sincere; honest; kind; giving; mostly self controlled; a bit bossy; and has a sense of humor that's hilarious. She is intelligent, talented, and passionate about God, piano, soccer and performing. How blessed are we to have such a great kid? So happy birthday, my sweet snuggle bug...you're 10 today and finally in the double digits!

No comments: